Thursday, August 27, 2015

I Listen: The Girl on the Train

When I listen to an audiobook, I need the actor to be amazing.  I have stuck with a few audiobooks in which this was not the case.

Here's an example.

I LOVE the book Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. I find the author, Geraldine Brooks, reading her book herself on audio to be very difficult to get through. Her S's were so sibilant....sharp, high pitched noises that I cringed for much of the book.  Her tone also did not change for much of the book.  I kept listening because I needed a refresher for a book club because I had read the book so many years before.

But! There are a few that have been so completely excellent and Girl on the Train is one of them. Acted superbly, I felt I knew them more through their voice and performance even than the text.  And! The story was so surprising and random and interesting and grabbed me right away.  I highly recommend this for a listen. I don't want to spoil anything!


No comments:

Post a Comment