Sunday, April 12, 2015

In which we lose our daughter in Central Park

Carrie and her crew ran an unbelievable amount of miles for a few days in a van and sparkly attire and raised a bunch of $$ for Rett Syndrome.  It was inspiring and amazing and I did my very small little part by organizing a mini 5k for my birthday weekend.  Here we are getting ready to run:


I had NOT run in weeks. I had not run up to 4 miles since the December half marathon from hell.  Running at a nice and slow pace was no problem....my IT band problem is STILL THERE which is very annoying.  At the conclusion of our 5k we realized no one had Lolly.  She had run ahead of us but had never caught up with Jason and I suspected instead of making a sharp left turn at 72nd street to run our loop route, that she had continued north on the east side of the park.

Jason did another loop and we ate the donuts I promised everyone. When he got back and realized we were lounging and she was still missing, he was a LOT upset. We then decided to split up and look for her.  Jason had left his phone in the car and mine is NOT reliable lately but I gave it to him anyway.

I felt frustrated by the distance I had to cover and my lack of wheels. I started flagging down people on wheels telling me my daughter was missing and where to send her when they found her. I did not panic or feel scared. Concerned yes.

I finally decided I needed a bike. I was headed over to the bike rentals to talk myself into a bike (as I had no money or collateral), when a cop car drove by.  I waved them down and together we started looking for her.  We circled the entire running route while they asked me questions like:

Is she of sound mental and emotional state?
Would she ask someone for help?
Would she go to her school?
Would she go to a playground?

I knew all she was doing was praying.  

I spotted her walking north on the WEST side of the park around 105th street.  The park ends at 110th street on the northside.  Our route was on the south side 72nd street to 59th street. She was not even close to where we were running.  She got in the car looked at me flashing her dimple with a very sheepish expression and asked: Were you panicking?

I asked: Officers? Was I panicking? They confirmed I was not.

Were you?

No.

Then the officers asked her a few questions:
Do you know your mom's phone number?
Recited it.
Did you think to ask an officer?
There were none.
Did you think to ask someone else for help?
Strangers!
Point Taken.

She then said she prayed about 4 times and I shared that with the officers and they thought that was good, but perhaps not enough.

All's well that ends well.  We found her. I knew we would.  We learned a lot and we had about an hour of thinking just how empty our lives would be without her.

1 comment:

  1. Binge reading your blog this morning after finding your blog thru Sam and Jennika. This post knocked the wind out of me! I have three boys (who are now grown men) and the youngest used to wander off all the time. He would always say, "I wasn't lost... I knew where I was". My brother lives on Central Park West at 97th street so I could easily picture where she was and HOW SCARY that would have been! Love your blog and your vlogs and those amazing girls! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete