Friday, December 26, 2014

Handmade Christmas

Sometimes I get a creative bee in my bonnet. This time, I think it started when I discovered Erika Barratt's beautiful rag dolls, and then saw them in person at Renegade.  At $350- I knew if I was going to have a handmade rag doll Christmas, it would need to be created out of my own hands.

 I love this one's blue hair and eyebrows to match. I fashioned her a cashmere sweater with pom pom collar out of a thrifted sweater. Her skirt also has pom-poms on the hem and a neon orange elastic waist band with a lace trim overlaid on top. I am still finessing my neck join technique, so I added some navy chain to conceal it!


Below are a bear, elephant and the FIRST rag doll I attempted. I used patterns for the animals and her dress from a book I scored on Amazon for $3- (it's no longer $3- but I got it for that!)

This doll turned out near perfect. I love the button details, her hair-do and her outfit. That floral fabric is actually bias tape!



The final doll I made her dress out of a shirt and dress my daughters had put in the giveaway pile. I knitted her that scarf! I love her hair too.


This was my first attempt (and success!) at button holes!
I love these felt buttons I got at purls oho.

I also made mermaids -- pattern also from the above linked book: Wee Wonderfuls.  Pickle LOVES mermaids so I made her a trio:

I purchased a felted ocean play mat on etsy to go with her mermaids. Beautiful.

This doll was my first attempt. I wish I had stuffed her more firmly, and the hair was a trial but I finally liked the outcome.

I used this pattern as the basis for my dolls (shrunk to 70%), but improvised the face based on Erika's dolls.


I liked the texture I got from untwisting the yarn.  I untwisted even more after this photo.


I am not sure the girls appreciated the very many hours went into the making of these dolls, but it doesn't matter because I know I spent my December thinking of my beautiful daughters (and sister, I made one for her too) and put lots of love into every stitch.

Finally, I felted these little guys for the Pickle. Felting takes a LONG TIME and it feels like luck most of the time if something turns out in just the right spot or somewhat symmetrical.



The bed and bedding is mailed.






No comments:

Post a Comment