Tuesday, September 9, 2014

I READ!

The past month I have finished 3 books that I had abandoned (I blame summer) at various stages of finish...and read a 4th cover to cover bam bam bam!

1. Women and the Priesthood by Sheri Dew

Perhaps you are aware of the recent current events happening in the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  There has been some news about an organization questioning why only men are given the Priesthood.  The organization and its platform have been around for a few years now and Sheri Dew published this book, I am sure in part to answer many of the questions that are stirring in Women's hearts right now.  

I struggle to understand the point of view of women who are searching in this area.  I have read a blogpost here and there of women on either side of the issue.  I am really trying to understand al sides.  This book helped me to reset and reminded me of the blessings of being a woman, blessings that I truly enjoy.

2. Second Wind: One Woman's Midlife quest to run seven marathons on seven continents by Cami Ostman

This woman goes on a spiritual journey through running.  That part I didn't really relate to though I have worked a lot of stuff out on the running course.  What I loved about this book was the individual races.  Each continent's race presented its own set of challenges, and having been a part of the marathon culture for a handful of years now, I understood what she was going through.  

Every time I picked up this book I felt inspired to run.  A few times I even thought I should run a marathon...but a half is just the right distance for me...for now.

3. Run by Ann Patchett

Speaking of running....this novel by Ann Patchett I highly recommend.  The entire book centers around just a few days, but it feels like this fast moving epic novel as you read it. The characters are well rounded and I found myself relating to each one.  I do NOT want to give it away, just start reading it.

4. The Storyeteller By Jodi Picoult 

I picked up this book because my sister had recommended it.  I was a little disappointed to find it was a book heavily centered on the Holocaust.  I actually LOVE reading Holocaust books but I wasn't in the mood for that when I bought it.  I quickly became completely involved in the story though and forgave Jodi. She is so talented and her twists are always like: GAH! I read this quite quickly as well and it was a good distraction during my miscarriage.

5 comments:

  1. You know I'm all about 2/4 of these and you haven't called me yet. I want to discuss!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss! I am exicited to read Sheri's book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann Patchett became a favorite author of mine after "State of Wonder" - I MUST find Run... And I loved Sheri' Dew's book. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage Kristy. *Sending love and prayers*

    ReplyDelete