Wednesday, April 9, 2014

I listen: The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Stout and Room by Emma Donoghue

I have listened to two audiobooks lately, both of which I knew nothing about ahead of time.

I LOVED Olive Kitteredge, so I decided The Burgess Boys would be good too.  I kept waiting for it to get good and worth my time.  It started out with so much potential, plot-wise, but then it just fizzled way out.  I didn't care enough about the characters and so their journey had no effect on me.

ON THE OTHER HAND

I downloaded Room knowing nothing about it except that it was a Good Reads pick one year and it was the only one available to borrow on my wish list when I went looking.

At first I was put off with the 5-year-old narrator.  I hoped it was the kind of book that switches narrators from time to time so that I wasn't stuck with a kid the whole time.  When it became clear to me that I was stuck with a 5-year-old narrator I started to gain appreciation for the performance as it is read by an adult woman.  She was very consistent and excellent at the performance.

The book I found absolutely  riveting and I was so glad I knew nothing about it before it began--it made it an astonishing journey for me.  I do not think it would have been the same if I had read it.  I am very glad I listened.  I highly recommend it.  If you choose to look it up ahead of time, yes the subject matter is a bit raw, but the details are mostly left to the imagination and there is no bad language in this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment